6 Ekim 2012 Cumartesi

Twofer review: The Mako AR stock, and a BSA 'Tactical' 4x20 AR optic

To contact us Click HERE
.

First of all, here's the Linkies to the items I'll speak about here:

Mako GLR16 Stock and 6 Position Buffer Tube, Buffer, and Spring (Black)

BSA Tactical Weapon 4 x 20mm Rifle Scope with 30/30 Duplex Reticle and AR Handle Style Mount

Okay, that's it for the linkies. Now lets talk about the ARevolution that's happening to my Franken-AR.

It began as a used gun store pick up. The price was right, even throwing in the possibility of it having a shot out barrel. It came to me as (mostly) a Colt post ban heavy barrel upper, and an early DPMS lower, all in an A2 configuration. A few hours scrubbing found that 'shot out barrel' was really nothing more than a heavily fouled barrel.

Once those swirly groovy things were rediscovered in the barrel, a range trip found the rifle to be a good shooter. It did have one disconcerting habit... sometimes when cycling the bolt by hand and easing it forward, it stopped half way before going into battery. This was investigated, and found to be a worn bolt carrier.

One 'Bravo Company' bolt carrier later, and the Franken-AR was up and running reliably. Not willing to leave well enough alone, a Magpul Grip and a Magpul hand guard set were installed... simply because I like them, and it's MY rifle.

Fast forward, and it happens that I did something really, really dumb... and damaged the muzzle. Hey.... stupid happens, and I am their King.

At that point, Brian Parramore of Parramore Machine Works in Orlando came to my rescue, and did some astonishingly good magic with my barrel. He's a wizard with a lathe, and returned my abused barrel to me in excellent (and shorter) condition, now with a perfect target crown as I requested.

With the barrel reinstalled, the rifle was even more accurate than before, and The Fat Man very much digs the rifles much improved ergonomics.

As long as some inches were lost at the muzzle, I concluded a few from the buttstock would not be missed either.... and thus the Mako GL16 collapsible AR stock was ordered. It came with a new Carbine style buffer tube, buffer, and spring. The lock ring and end plate were ordered separately for few more dollars.

Once all those pieces were here at the same time, it took roughly twenty minutes to pull off the A2 stock and tube, and install the Mako unit. The only tool needed was an AR armorers combination tool, purchased on Amazon.com for a pittance.

Friends.... Carteach is LIKING this stock. It's solid, works smoothly, and feels good to shoot with. The buttplate is a very grippy rubber, and Mako has given it a tread pattern that would make a decent snow tire jealous. Best of all.... it's utterly quiet. I mean no rattle. None. The stock slides when you want it to, and then it just stays right where you put it without rattling around and moving. I LIKE that.

Shooting on the range, the Mako stock feels solid, and shoulders easily. The buttplate has been given an angle that makes bringing it to firing position quite natural. Shortening up the stock, the rifle hangs in ready position on a sling freely, while still being quick to bring into play accurately.

One cute feature, a strong tug on the buttplate causes it to swivel down, revealing a compartment especially made to store a few spare batteries for an Eotech sight, or some such toy.

The old A2 stock has been saved, and will become part of a match rifle build.... as soon as Rock River Arms finishes building me a National Match upper unit.

Now, on to part two of this Twofer review: The BSA tactical 4x20 scope.

My idea was to have a simple scope that would attach to the carry handle, allowing better sighting for load development. An AR handle mount donated by a generous reader was tried, but just wouldn't settle down on my rifle. I suspect Colt was a might... overeager... in machining the groove in my carry handle, leaving it a bit wide.

The scope mounts up well enough. That said, there's nothing else really good I can say about it. Yes, Carteach now has a set of crosshairs he can put on the rifle, making sighting during load development much easier. More than that..... I got nothing.

The scope is supposed to have a 'Bullet Drop Compensator turret' tuned to the
5.56mm cartridge. Out of the box, it appears the turret was assembled incorrectly. It had a detent that doesn't quite 'detent', but does manage to stop the turret rotating right in the middle of the range index. Well.... I 'guess' it's right in the middle, as BSA didn't bother to place an index mark on the scope body.

Now that we mention it.... BSA also didn't bother to mark the adjustments for Up/Down nor did they mention how much moving the non-indexed sighting adjustment would move POI. In point of fact, the adjustments are not detented, and I have no faith they won't move in time. The instructions utterly fail to help, seeming to have been written in a far off land by someone with a withering grasp of English and not one shred of understanding towards how firearms work.

I'd send it back for repair under warrantee, but for a problem. BSA warrantee instructions tell me to send it back on my own dime, and include a check for $10 in return postage if I ever want to see the scope again. By my sad math skills, I make that down about $20 to get a warrantee repair on a $45 scope that was delivered incorrectly built.

Sum it up... Mako stock: GOOD.

BSA Tactical 4x20 AR scope: BAD.




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder