12 Ekim 2012 Cuma

Reloading Frangible 9mm ammo

To contact us Click HERE
Recently, Midwayusa had a special on 90 gr frangible 9mm components. For the paltry sum of  54 bucks delivered, I ordered a thousand Remington CTF frangible bullets to try my hand at reloading some light weight 9mm ammo.

Reloading data is sparse on frangible ammunition, and the reloader must take caution when playing in such spartan territory. Alliant doesn't list any data for them, and none of my reloading manuals specifically mention frangible rounds, so I was at a bit of a loss on a starting load.

However, a quick trip the Interwebs found some data that seemed no more or less reputable than anything else on the net that suggested using loads for bullets that weigh 30% more than the frangible component- Thus a starting point was reached- I'll try data for 9mm loads between 115-120 grains.   I first started with
5.1 grains of unique, as per my reloading manuals. The load was super light- and would not reliably function in my RIA tactical 9mm 1911- but it did reliably cycle my 9mm AR (50 rounds fired).

The Alliant website lists a max charge of unique for the 115gr projectile (GDHP) at 6.3 grains. That is a pretty stout load- and one I frankly would not want to put behind these little frangibles. 5.3 grains however, did barely cycle the slide on the 9mm 1911- and I am going to settle on 5.5 grains for an all around plinking load. Approach with caution, as some manuals will list 5.5 gr of unique as above max for a 115gr projectile (even though these are 90 grainers).

As far as performance goes, I actually really like these bullets. They vaporize nicely on my steel targets, and shoot well in both guns I have shot them in. Feeding on them is very good- and I haven't experienced any issues. for less than 5.50 per 100, these are a great way to reload some load free ammo for under 10 bucks per 100 rounds.


1 yorum:

  1. Nice Post. Buy the best frangible ammo from BiteTheBullet, they provide best at much discounted price.

    YanıtlaSil