8 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi

Pocket Tools

To contact us Click HERE
The Pocket tool. An item of questionable usefulness, which often offers too many compromises towards carry-a-bility that it ends up with minimal functionality. Yet once in a while, a decent one comes along and an EDC'r  takes notice. About 3 months ago I ordered an SE MT908 11 Function Credit Card Size Survival Pocket Tool. Total cost on the item (shipped) is $0.98. For a dollar, I was willing to take a risk on the gimmick filled world of wallet-sized credit card tools. Much to my surprise, I have actually been pretty
pleased with my one dollar purchase. The item ships in a faux leather pouch (mine is navy blue) and has the same thickness of about 2 credit cards.  It lists itself as having 11 tools, which really must be a very loose interpretation on what classifies as a tool- but 3 of them are actually useful.

First- the bottle opener. Similar credit card sized bottle openers cost 5+ bucks.  That is ridiculous. For those of you who enjoy the occasional beverage that requires an opener when you don't have one handy, spending 6-10 dollars on something this simple is criminal.  I don't like key chain openers as I find they really make my keys bulky- and though I have used them in the past I have basically given up on them since getting this little tool card. The other opener options (hats, sandals, etc) are either too cheap to work well or actually disgusting to use. seriously the shoe bottle opener from reefs actually makes me cringe.

The second (and surprisingly useful) tool on this thing that I actually find myself using is the can opener. It is actually sharp and is quite good. I originally thought the saw blade would eat my hand up while opening cans, but this hasn't been the case.

 The area in front of and behind the saw is large enough and fairly well spread out to accommodate your fingers when leveraging open cans- and I actually have opened a few dozen restaurant sized cans with this this tool as the beach bar I worked at this summer had our can opener break one day and this is what we used until the cook returned from the restaurant supply store. The can opener held its edge really well and was actually simple and easy to use. Often with these little openers they can be a pain (both literally and figuratively) but this was as error free as it could have been. Much better than trying to use a P-38 or P-51 can opener (both of which I have used, and would only use again if it meant starving).


The final most often used item is the small flat head screw driver. It is located on the same face as the blade, which allows for safe usage. The card is reasonably sturdy, and because of its length you can use it fairly well as a light pry bar in a pinch, though any recessed screw heads make this tool completely unusable. The flat head screwdriver here certainly wont replace a dedicated set, but it does perform its function of 'good enough' in a pinch- which is really all I want this tool to do.
The knife blade is fine, but I really have no use for it as I always carry a pocket knife. The 'wrenches' on the thing are completely a joke, and I cannot imagine using the saw blade for anything; however having a good straight edge on a rigid tool that can cut in a pinch, and perform a few useful functions for under a dollar is something I think is worth keeping around. It fits fine in the credit card slot in my wallet, and doesn't add any significant bulk or weight. 
Overall, for a buck- I'd say give it a buy but be realistic of what it can do. As a cheap bottle opener to always have with you, I think it is totally worth it. The fact that it has any other actually functionality is a total bonus, and it has come in handy a few times.  There are 3 or 4 listings of this guy on amazon- all ranging from under a dollar to almost 2.00 - I suspect they are all the same- but the one I own (and linked to) is the 98 cent one.

PS- This is my first time using the amazon associate function- so know if you buy this tool from my link, you could personally be contributing almost 4 cents to my personal capitalistic gains. So be excited about that.




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder