12 Ekim 2012 Cuma

CMMG troubles, and AR15 fun

To contact us Click HERE

Well today I went to the range to do a bit of long over due rifle shooting. I took my lightweight carbine with a Del-ton 16in upper on my Cav Arms receiver. Both the upper and lower have been well proven at this point, but this combination has some new tweaks in setup that had me wanting to play around a bit to see how much I like this configuration.

First, I have been a big fan of the magpul single point attachment and sling combo. I mounted it just in front of my rear sight and the carbine is fast to bring into action, and fast to get out of the way for transitions to a pistol. It is a bit 'tacti-cool' compared to my normal shooting regime, but it is decidedly very fun. When I run a transition, I just drop the rifle and let the sling and attachment point take all of the force. Even after playing with this particular setup for a couple months now, it has held up fantastically and I must say I'm a very pleased.

I've been running this carbine with irons only for a while now, and have not missed the old co-witnessed reddot / iron sight setup one bit. I didn't get to do transitions from one target to the next while shooting 223, but I did get to do quite a few target transitions while I had the 22lr CMMG kit installed, and it worked very well (the sight system, not the kit- but more on that later).

The Magpul AFG is also surprisingly comfy, even though I do wish I could move it further forward on my carbine length handguards. Really, I see these AFGs shining most with either short-limbed shooters, or people running them on mid or full length gas setups. For a tall person, the carbine length set up + the AFG just feels tight.
Some people might like that feeling though, and it did make swinging from target-to-target quick and easy. It also puts my thumb in a good position to reach over the top and activate a weapon light (which pride prevented me from leaving on for these photos. I refuse to shoot a weapon during daylight that has a flashlight on it).

The best part is, the sling, AFG, and single point attachment are all 'knock-off' magpul parts that I've been playing with since august. All said and done, the three only cost me 20 bucks total. The magpul furniture though is the real deal. I was a bit hesitant to buy the knockoffs, but for the savings and the durability they have displayed, I'm glad I went for it. They have been great investments.

Unfortunately, the whole trip was not quite so positive. My CMMG conversion kit acted up quite a bit today, and I finally had to break down and order some replacement recoil springs. The spring in it currently is the original, and it has lasted me 22 months of use.  I had a feeling it was going a bit soft on my last range trip, but unfortunately I mistakenly hoped a deep cleaning would extend the life a while longer. After a metric-buttload of failure to fires related to the bolt not fully closing, I got so annoyed I just ordered a replacement spring back from midwayusa.

I can't really complain, the kit has been good to me, despite me generally feeding it ammo CMMG doesn't recommend (cough* remington golden bullet bulk pack * cough) as I cycle through old stores of 22lr. I've also been stretching out the length of time I go between shooting 223 and 22lr, and have no issues going a couple bricks now before firing any 223 ammo to 'clear out' the gas system, and I'm really starting to wonder if it ever actually gets necessary.

Today was the first time I fired 223 ammo through the gun in over 800 rounds of 22lr, and I DO NOT clean the gas system. Ever. I shot 20 rounds by way of 4 strings of 5 shots each and every round fed, fired, and ejected perfectly, with 4 solid bolt lockbacks on the empty mag.

In other news, I went out bow hunting and didn't get a shot, but saw two nice does. There have also been some bear sightings fairly close to my locale, which is actually kind of welcome. People don't feed them down here, and frankly I would love to have the opportunity to see a wild bear. In less exciting news, we have started finding wallows on our hunting grounds, which means that the dreaded wild pig has finally found its way onto my home range.

Pigs worry me. Bears- not so much. This winter, I suspect myself, the old man, and maybe our dear friend (affectionately referred to as the farmer) may have to go out and try to put a stop to the pig population before it gets a firm foothold. If that comes into being, expect some AR updates- depending on how / when we go, it will probably involve both 9mm and 223 AR15s and a generous helping of ammo.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder