12 Ekim 2012 Cuma

summer carry- lightening the load

To contact us Click HERE
Summer carrying for many of us, means a drastic change in attire from our winter garb and a different collection of gear better suited to that change. For me, summer carry means cargo shorts and t-shirts, which makes concealing a firearm difficult. I was never a fan of pocket carry, and certainly do not like cargo pocket carry- so a solution means maintaining my appendix concealment, but hiding a firearm with much less material over the top of it.

All of this is second nature to the EDC'er in warmer locals, but for an Upstate New Yorker, annual temperature swings cover over 100 degrees F and necessitate vastly different daily routines and clothing options. Being a gainfully employed graduate student at a large Northeastern University affords me a particularly lax set of wardrobe requirements, so keep that in mind throughout my recommendations in this post.

First, a list of the gear that I just can't seem to get along without. My campus EDC differs from my regular EDC only in gun and spare ammunition, so I will simply create one list for my readers.

In the summer, I sadly must put away my full-sized 1911s, security sixes, K-frames, and the like for smaller options. After parting out my G23, Kel-Tec P11, and assorted other small guns- I realized that the only gun I shot enough to be comfortable with for compact summer carry was my Smith and Wesson J-Frame M 36. However, the rest of my gear is constant all year round, with the occasional exception of the flashlight. So without further ado, my current pocket dump:

Smith and Wesson M36 w/ tyler T-grip loaded with 5 rounds of 158gr LSWCHP (federal)
1 Tuff Strip loaded with 6 rounds of 158gr LSWCHP (federal, standard pressure)
1 dump pouch with 6 additional rounds of 158gr LSWCHP (federal, standard pressure)
1Spyderco Tenacious knife
1 streamlight stylus pro
Wallet, w/ small first aid kit and card tool
6 ft of 100mph tape and 10ft of 550 cord (all wrapped around a subway card)
1 butane torch lighter
cell phone
money clip (sometimes even with money)
small pad and pen

It sounds like a lot, but really, it is a manageable collection of stuff that fits well into my cargo shorts (9 pocket variety).  Starting from the navel and moving right, we first have my J-frame over my appendix, and spare dump pouch on the belt. Then in my front right pocket is my streamlight and knife, with a phone pocket below and an empty large cargo pocket below that. Back right is wallet, back left is pad & pen plus cordage / tape. front left is the money pocket, with speed strip and lighter in two small pockets below, with another large empty cargo beneath it.

I don't often use the large cargo pockets on my shorts because I don't like how the shorts swing with weight in them at that point. Also, I really don't like leaving the house with all of my pockets packed with stuff. My keys are on a carabiner and I simply clip it to a belt loop or throw them into an empty cargo pocket. If I am going to the University, remove the gun and ammo, and keep everything else the same. If I am at the beach or working outdoors in mesh shorts, I switch to a neck knife to save weight and leave the dump pouch at home. Otherwise, the rest of the stuff stays (comfortably).

As I am an occasional cigar smoker, a cutter also sometimes goes into the lighter pocket, and a cigar into the right cargo pocket (to keep it from getting squished).

Deciding what is and isn't necessary for your everyday tasks is the single most crucial step to creating a reasonable EDC. My list has a lot of redundancy, and gives me room to pair it down if the need arises. For me, a flashlight is probably one of the single most useful things a person can carry- so I tend not to travel without one. This is closely followed by a knife, and the list goes down from there. Choose your gear with ease of use and ease of carry in mind, and with very little effort you will be able to craft a reasonably competent load-out that makes life safer and easier, without making it bulkier and cumbersome.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder