9 Kasım 2012 Cuma

Hurricane Sandy Update

To contact us Click HERE
Buffalo has just been inundated with rain, and winds are picking up. Comparing it to NYC however, we are sitting pretty. We are currently gusting around 35mph with more to come.  New York City is starting to shut down it seems, with the subways taking on water and people being directed to stay inside. My live Youtube coverage states winds are breaking 80mph.
I stopped at the grocery store after teaching tonight (which had almost 80% of my class absent) for a couple of reasons- first, I wanted to pick up some sweets in case we get some halloween visitors. Second, I wanted to see some good ol' fashioned panic buying.

At left, is the bottled water aisle at our local grocery store. I couldn't help but lol immensely at people freaking out over a category 1 making landfall 400 miles away. Such is life.

Godspeed and safe travels to anyone actually affected by Sandy. Hopefully you have adequate shelter, power, and supplies.  I topped off the gas tank, and bought some seltzer water in addition to my chocolate, and we are pretty much good.

I have some sterno in case power goes out so we can prepare dry food, and plenty of rubbing alcohol if I really need it (to make a soda can stove) . I have more flashlights than I can reasonably justify, and batteries for all of them. phones are charged, and a spare emergency pre-paid phone is also charged up and turned off to conserve power. We have plenty of clothing and good shelter to stay dry, and a few books to keep us mildly entertained. Also have a goodly amount of maker's mark and a solid supply of good cigars, so I feel prepped for anything.

Playing with a couple new goodies from solarforce and will do a write up on them sooner than later. Otherwise, no new news.


Stay safe.

edited to add: Hoboken is flooding. The National Guard was ordered into Manhattan around 4pm to help with evac. The Holland Tunnel is taking water.  Cooney island is proper FUCKED. A number of hospitals losing power and running out of O2, manually respirating PICU and NICU by hand during evac. A number of zoo animals have already drowned, the Oyster Creek Nuclear facility in NJ declared a weather related alert, and there are reports on the FDNY scanners for NYPD to help with looting in the BK (12:26am 10/30 current). will keep updating with pics and news as I can.

 Best as I can tell, BK - R train, 86 st. 
WTC construction site











FDNY Scanner feed here:
http://nycfire.net/fdny/communications/liveaudio/scan


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder