19 Haziran 2012 Salı

TargetsFromUs review

To contact us Click HERE
TargetsFromUs recently offered me a discount on their targets. Below, you can see the three targets I ended up with along side my original walking target for size comparison. The two targets furthest to the right are half inch steel, and the black 'stubby' is 3/8 inch steel- all are AR500.
for comparison, the silver target has a 2inch circle 

I could go into detail about the superb quality of the customer service I received, and the exceptional quality of these targets- but instead I'll just say this: Before I received these hemmed and hawed about the cost of steel targets, and their application. No more. I love these things, and I'd buy them again at retail in a heartbeat, and I'm thrilled at how well I was treated.

They are just an illegal amount of fun, and they really can take some abuse and ask for seconds! For today's test, I focused on the two larger green targets on the right. I wanted to see how well they hold up to fairly high round count days, and spreading the love across four targets (I thought) would either make the day too expensive and time consuming for me, or hinder the quality of the review.

I selected the two largest targets because in talking to TFU customer service, they said they weren't sure if you could get these targets to 'walk' with handgun rounds. I figured, hey - I could find that out at least.

As was the case with my original walking target, the welds were secure and well done. As is also the case with my last walking target, I assumed if I was going to run into problems, it would be with the welds- so I intentionally shot them throughout the day, and tried to work over the entire face of the targets.




Note the heavy bead on the welds, the lack of gaps, and the secure top and bottom beads to lock the faces together.



Sadly, my range was fairly busy today for some reason, so I only got to hit the targets with pistols. Most shooting was done at 20 yards, with about a third of the shooting occurring at 13 yards (as close as I dared to venture to the steel while shooting it).  The benefit though, was I offered the guy in the bay next to me use of the steel, so they didn't only have the fire I could put on them, but also about another box of 40sw from his glock 23 (well, maybe a third of a box if you just count the hits. . . ).


Here are the two targets that were worked over today- in their last few pristine moments before I could run them out at a cease fire.

Privately owned steel targets are not that common at my range, so these two were instantly the topic of much conversation.




For shooting today, I tried to bring a representative variety of what I think people would normally shoot these targets with. I know the 22lr doesn't really put the hurt on a well made target, but lets be honest-
the majority of shooting I do is with a 22, and it would be foolish to not include it.

Anyway, I brought:

Ruger mk II 5.5inch barrel in 22LR
American Classic II Government sized 1911 in 45acp
CZ-75b SA in 40sw
Ruger Security Six 4inch barrel in 357 mag

excluding the 22, which fired all Remington bulk pack today- all other guns were shot at the steel target with a mix of factory FMJ, reloaded JHP, and reloaded lead bullets. The 40 sw also had reloaded plated bullets fired on steel. Total centerfire round count (excluding 22 obviously) was just over 200 rounds.  with the majority of those being 40 and 45 acp.

I was going to bring the 9mm AR, but frankly I just didn't have room. Not counting the camera gear or the targets themselves, my range bag weighed over 30 lbs, and I just couldn't bring myself to bring multiple range bags.  ah well- there is always next time.
target face after some abuse
Now as to the targets flipping- yes they will. Even the big bad space invader will flip but there is a trick to it. That trick dear readers, is heavy for caliber 357 magnum rounds over H110 as fast as you can fire them and hit the target at 13 yards. I got it to walk 1 position exactly 2 times with these application of stout medicine. You can get it rocking pretty well with the 45, and you can move it with the 40, but unless you are faster and more accurate on the trigger than I am, you will have trouble getting them to fully turn over.


Remember when I said I like to shoot at the welds to see how they held up? Well- they held up fine. I smacked them pretty solidly on a number of occasions, and though the face and welds of the targets are covered with splatter, the target faces remain smooth and un-pocked (is that a word?)



Here is one of the other faces on the space invader after I finally got the target to turn over. Even when you hit the corners or by the cut out eyes, these targets held up very well.

Another great thing about having multiple larger steel targets was transitions. With the two targets a few feet apart, switching between them provided me a great challenge and lots of excitement.

So the final verdict on these things? I'm just thrilled with them. Seriously, I know I sound like a broken record but I am super pleased with these targets- much more so than I am with my auto-popper. The walking target is just more fun. I will admit that I really prefer the space invader target to any of them- I find it is a large enough size to get fast hits, and I think it is just a fun target to shoot at.

Right now, TFU has a 6 inch flipper on sale for 65 bucks. The 4.5 inch flipper which I shot today, runs under 50 dollars with 3/8 inch steel- which ought to handle most anything you throw at it. My space invader target is the 6 inch model- though they do go up to 8 inches.  The 6 inch in 3/8inch steel runs under 85 dollars.

When you compare the price of these to the cost of other steel targets, they really are extremely well priced. Shipping on this order was quick and the packaging was secure.  I haven't had a chance to shoot mine with rifles yet- but I am confident they will take the abuse just fine so long as I listen to the recommended distances TFU lists for shooting bottle necked cartridges.
a representative paddle on the smaller round walking target
If you need steel, I'd really give TFU a hard look. If my experience is at all representative, I think you'll be pleased.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder